Holistic & Homeopathic Nutrition Certification and Licensing
To become certified in holistic nutrition, a prospective nutritionist must attend an accredited school as indicated by the Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board (HNCB), the credentialing body of the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP). The NANP was founded in 1985 as a non-profit organization charged with ensuring the integrity of the industry’s education standards, practice methods and code of ethics. The NANP currently administers the national certification of holistic nutritionists through its Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Examination.
Holistic Nutrition Certification Requirements
Holistic Nutritionist Certification Membership through the NANP can come by way of a professional, associate or student membership. Professional holistic nutrition certification requires at least one of the following criteria:
- Graduation from an NANP-approved post-graduate program
- Completion of an NANP-approved occupational certificate program
- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher in nutrition or related field from an accredited college or university
- Current board certification from the American College of Nutrition (ACN), Clinical Nutrition Certification Board (CNCB), or American Dietetic Association (ADA)
- Licensed health care professionals practicing holistic nutritional counseling (ie. chiropractors, nurses, MD’s or DO’s).
The benefits of becoming board certified through the HNCB are vast, increasing the prestige and credibility of a nutritionist’s knowledge and skills to the patients of those who possess the certification. Moreover, certification assures others in the health care industry including insurance companies, health care providers and professionals that the holistic nutrition standards of the HNCB are being withheld above a set of standards. Other benefits of the Board include access to educational institutions for continuing education, providing legislative advocacy for the industry and upholding the overall professional standards of the holistic nutrition industry.
Holistic Nutrition Organizations
For those who are interested in becoming credentialed in holistic nutrition, or for any information about accredited schools or continuing education, Nutritionist-World has provided the contact information of the following agencies:
Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board
P.O. Box 1884
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-1884
National Association of Nutrition Professionals
P.O. Box 2752
Berkeley, CA 94702