Integrative Medicine Doctors....What Are They?
A lot of people may have heard the phrase integrative medicine doctor before, but they don't understand exactly what it represents. What is an integrative medicine doctor? What are their philosophies, their treatment plans for their patients?
The first thing that you should understand about an integrative medicine doctor is that there are certain principles that they follow. These are the following:
- In the healing process, there's a partnership formed between the patient and their physician.
- Use of both alternative and conventional methods in order to trigger the patient's body to heal.
- Equal consideration of all of the factors influencing a patient's disease, wellness, and health, which includes community, spirit, and mind along with the body.
- Neither rejecting conventional medicine but doesn't accept therapies which are alternative uncritically.
- Recognizing that good medicine should be driven by inquiries, have its basis in some good science, and that it's open to any new paradigms.
- Using less invasive, effective and natural interventions when it's possible to do so.
- Using broader concepts of promoting health and illness prevention along with disease treatment.
- Training the doctors to be models themselves of both healing and health and make sure that there committed to self development and self exploration.
What a doctor of integral medicine does is that they make sure that their patients are as much of the healing process as they are as their physicians. They also make sure that they are not simply relying on the conventional therapies but they are also looking into other things that they know that might help their patients. However, they make sure that there is scientific basis to back up the claims that these therapies make to help patients.
Another thing that doctor of integral medicine do is that they don't simply treat the patient or the disease that the patient might have, but they make sure that they are looking into everything that concerns that patient and including it as a part of their healing process.
Integral medicine doctors do not just look at their patients and define them by their diseases and their problems. They look deeper into the patients' lives and look for things that will help that patient on their way to healing.
An integral medicine doctor, along with the usual therapies, may employ other non conventional therapies to help their patients to get better. Some of the therapies that an integral medicine doctor might suggest for their patients are:
- Acupuncture – One type of therapy used by doctors is acupuncture. This uses very thin needles inserted in the skin at very specific areas and is often used to help with the treatment of nausea, vomiting, and pain. It can also be used to help things such as osteoarthritis, menstrual cramps, and asthma.
- Hypnotherapy – Another common therapy used by doctors in this field is hypnotherapy, which promotes relaxation through focus and altering consciousness. It is often used to help patients who have a lot of pain, since they are so relaxed that their attention is diverted. It has also been proven to help with vomiting and nausea and there have been patients who have had surgery while hypnotized without the need for anesthesia.
It's believed by some scientists that hypnosis helps the patient's brain to release their natural painkillers, while others think that it's working through the power of suggestion.
- Some Biofield Therapies – A third type of therapy that is used by integral medicine doctors is different kinds of biofield therapies. One of the most common one is touch therapy, which is used on patients as young as premature babies to patients who are in constant pain to people who are suffering from cancer. It promotes not just physical well being but spiritual and mental well being as well.
Doctors of integral medicine are often sought out by patients who are looking for a doctor who does not always make use of medicine and who want a more natural approach to healing and feeling better.
It's important to note that very often insurance does not cover this kind of therapy, so it's important for a patient to consult their insurance company before they seek out this kind of doctor so that they aren't surprised when they find that the visits aren't covered.
There are advantages to going to this kind of doctor and many patients who have gone to one have discovered that their life has improved a great deal because of their decision.